The most absurd shopping week of the year is starting, and I think you should not buy anything.
(Look who is talking, right?!)
Lets be realistic: Unless you started with the hobby of backpacking, climbing, packrafting or trailrunning just last weekend you likely own already everything you need. And if you were hiking for the first time in your life this month - well, the garments and pack you wore are just fine for the next three hiking weekends at least. So in stead of investing your hard earned €$£ over the next weeks into things you very likely don’t need, invest it into something good. Support a NGO like Protect our Winters or 1% For The Planet, go eat out with your friends or family, or use that money to go on a trip (Here you can find some inspiration). Hell, you even could become a Patreon of this website and support my writing, photography and videos!
Saying no to bargains and shiny new gear is hard (as you can see above, I have had a hard time in the past). If you absolutely have to shop I’d appreciate if you use any of the following affiliate links. These have ZERO extra costs for you and I get a wee commission from your purchase. There’s a wide list of possibilities, from shopping at your favourite flavour of Amazon, to more specialised stores like evo and Alpinetrek.co.uk where you can shop for high-quality equipment & garments and support me at the same time. So, in no particular order, if you get the shopping bug and want to do something good to me without any extra costs to you, use these links for your Black Friday/ Cyber Monday/ Holiday shopping:
- Awesome Maps for beautiful maps that you can put up at home (use the code HIKINGINFINLAND to get a 10% Discount)
- Amazon.com for all your shopping needs in North America
- Amazon.co.uk for all your shopping needs in Brexitlandia
- Amazon.de for all your shopping needs in Germany
- AirBnB is a great place to find afforable and cozy accommodation before or after a hike
- Alpinetrek.co.uk is THE outdoor shop in the UK
- Backcountry.com sells everything for your adventure, near and far
- Bergfreunde.de is my favourite German online outdoor shop
- Booking.com is a good place to find Hotels and flights ✈️
- Campsaver.com usually has a lot of discounts
- Cotopaxi makes sustainable and trendy outdoor gear
- DJI is THE Maker of Drones and Gimbals 🎥
- evo takes care of your skiing and snowboard needs
- Garage Grown Gear is home to a variety of cottage-made gear
- Good To-Go makes delicious meals for your next outdoor adventure
- GORUCK makes the most durable backpacks in the world
- GearTrade.com helps you sell and buy used gear
- Hyperlite Mountain Gear is your source of ultralight & durable gear for your next adventure
- Jaybird makes superb headphones for active people
- Get Luminar 2018 for all your Photo Editing - with the Coupon Code MORKEL you’ll save an additional $10!
- Lifeproof protects your phone on your adventures
- Luna Sandals makes my favourite sandals!
- My Trail Co is GoLite with a new name and their old designs
- With On Running Shoes you’ll be faster than the wind
- Patagonia makes sustainable, durable and high-quality outdoor apparel and gear
- Peak Design makes the Capture Clip, my favourite way to carry my camera 📷
- REI.com is one of the largest Outdoor Co-ops in the world ⛺️
- Into HDR Photography? Then get Aurora HDR 2019! And with the Coupon Code MORKEL you’ll save even $10 more!
- Sierra Designs makes lightweight tents, sleeping bags and backpacks
- Stio creates gear for all your mountain needs - from skiing to downhill biking
- Trek Light Gear sells hammocks, blankets and other outdoorsy kit
- Trivago is a Travel Portal 🏨
- ULA Equipment is a UL backpack manufacturer out of Utah
- Ultimate Direction makes some of the lightest and most ergonomic trailrunning gear
Or if you need some inspiration, check out some of my favourite backpacking gear:
How much did you spent on your last piece of outdoor gear? And how much did you support your favourite blogs in the last months? If you enjoy The Week in Review & other articles buy me a coffee - I work Full-Time on Hiking in Finland to bring you inspiring trip reports, in-depth gear reviews and the latest news from the outdoors. You also could subscribe to the rarer-than-ever Newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Youtube for more outdoorsy updates!