If you need to freshen up what this is all about, read the Introduction!
Globetrotter is a well-known outdoor shop chain in Germany, and if you ever visit one of the cities where they have a shop presence, you’re doing well in paying them a visit: They are nicely decorated and some stores offer cold rooms to check out down jackets at -25°C, while in other you can go for a paddle on the indoor lake. Usually not known for light gear, a group of employees from the Store in Frankfurt set out to design a lightweight One Stop Shop list nevertheless. Will they succeed? Lets see:
|Backpack||Osprey Aether 70||2350 g||219,95 €|
|Sleeping bag||Western Mountaineering Antelope MF||1105 g||589,95€|
|Mattress||Therm-A-Rest NeoAir XTherm Regular||460 g||179,95 €|
|Shelter||Hilleberg Akto||1560 g||555,00 €|
|Pot||Snow Peak Multi Set||305 g||95,95 €|
|Stove||SOTO Micro Stove||73 g||89,95 €|
|Cutlery||Esbit Ti Cutlery||54 g||21,95 €|
|Knife||Black Fox Zytel||30 g||19,95 €|
|Lamp||MISSING||0 g||0 €|
|Trekking Poles||Leki Micro Vario Carbon||468 g||149,95 €|
|Shoes||Adidas Terrex Fast R Mid GTX||860 g||179,95 €|
|Fleece||Mammut Aconcagua Jacket||380 g||149,95 €|
|Insulation||Haglöfs Essens II Down Jacket||270 g||239,95 €|
|Rain pants||Haglöfs Lim II Pant||290 g||179,95 €|
|Rain jacket||Arc’teryx Beta LT Jacket||350 g||449,95 €|
|Boxers||Kaikkialla Boxer||60 g||19,95 €|
|T-Shirt||Kaikkialla T-Shirt||140 g||29,95 €|
|Longsleeve||Icebreaker Oasis L/S 200 Half Zip||260 g||89,95 €|
Total Weight: 8995 g
Total Price: 3.272,20 €
My thoughts on the list:
- WOW. That’s pretty heavy and expensive, and while using a lot of good gear it’s in my opinion a bit over-built for our guidelines
- A 70 l backpack that’s over 2 kg :( That’s a big fail for the first pick
- While WM sleeping bags are superb - the Antelope is overkill for our guidelines
- There are lighter and cheaper tents than the Akto, which itself is a 4-season shelter, too
- I don’t understand why they include two pots and two pans - one of each is enough
- What’s the obsession with Mids for hiking?
- Good choices for garments, though again I feel it was more aimed at a price as high as possible instead of as lightweight as possible
- Overall I really feel here light weight comes at a too high cost - one could achieve a lower weight and pay less if better choices would have been made
Read the comments and discussion on the German post, where for example a lighter and cheaper list has been made.
The standing thus far:
|Trekking-Lite-Store.com||6157 g||2.288,80 €||0,47 € per gram|
|CampSaver.com||5316 g||1.993,80 €||0,52 € per gram|
|Globetrotter||8995 g||3.272,20 €||0,36 € per gram|
Next up is Partioaitta. Can Finland’s largest Outdoor Store go lighter than their competitor from Germany?
Disclaimer: The One Stop Shop Series was Carsten’s idea and he gave me permission to translate his posts to English and contact a few more shops around the world. If you can read German, you can head over to his blog and read already the first posts with the gear lists from Bergfreunde and Walkonthewildside.de.